A Storm, a Week of School, and a Little OCF

We actually had rain yesterday *BIG GRIN*!  Not a ton, but it was certainly a welcome sight :)  The one thing that I have been hopeful for is clouds.  Not just a fluff here and there, but some DRAMATIC looking clouds.  Those where the sun is begging to poke through even if it's a pinhole sized amount, and nothing but a few scattered rays can find their way to earth.  Those kinds of clouds.

Well, in celebration of our first week of school, I think God decided to refresh our souls.  He gave us the rain, the cooler temps and some extremely gorgeous cumulonimbi.  He even threw in a few Jesus Rays (crepuscular rays for all the science geeks out there, yes.... this includes me, haha).

I have seen several photographers do something very provocative with their lighting called OCF, Off Camera Flash.  You basically meter for the clouds and then light your subject with your flash but it's not attached to your camera.  It's usually powered by an external power pack and on a stand.  Many times, they will have it in a soft box so the light is spread more evenly.

The one thing you need in order to really practice this is drama... in the sky that is.  In the middle of a severe drought, that drama doesn't come very often around here.  I've been dying to try some of this type of lighting but my chances tend to be few and far between.

So, last night, when we got home from running a few errands and picking up the boy from school, I begged him (and my girl as assistant) to come help me practice :)  I figured we could try to get a really cool shot of him with his skateboard, very masculine and you guessed it, dramatic :D

The girl was none too happy about the mugginess and bugginess but she was willing and we actually got off a few good shots!  This is my first time doing OCF and I have a lot to learn, so be kind!  In fact, I don't have remote fire equipment, not even cable release for my 5D and I certainly don't have any pricey external battery packs or soft boxes.  Someday I will.  I pray I will.

For now, I get to attempt this with a flash extender cord instead.  Ya, it may not even "technically" be OCF (since it's still "technically" attached to the camera) but I'm calling it, so there :P

I was THRILLED with the results and that's all that matters, right?  :)  Only problem now.... I can't choose between color or black and white as a fav, lol!

Happy Shooting and have a WONDERFUL three day weekend!!!!!  Now there's a way to celebrate the first week of school being over :D

Do you see the Jesus Rays???  :D  Soooo cool!

Tons of drama in both shots, but there is something insanely cool about this in black and white!




Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—
a place near Your altar, LORD Almighty, my King and my God.   ♥   Psalm 84:3

Comments

Popular Posts