New Building ~ "Simon Says"

Ah, the good old days.  Childhood whims, youthful games being played, laughter running throughout the neighborhood.  Sometimes I would love to go back to those times.  No worries other than getting home in time for dinner.  While I'm not a child anymore, there seems to be one game I unintentionally keep playing,  "Simon Says".  It's one game I would prefer to not participate in at this time in my life.  It seems that the past 30 days have especially been one giant game of SS.

On May 19th, at 12am, Simon Said "Take five GIANT steps backward".  Today (while I know it's more than this) it feels like we've finally taken a teeny weeny step forward".

The five giants steps backward were of course the intoxicated mustang driver and passenger evading police, running into the corner of our building and causing close to $15K in damages.  The fact that they were not US Citizens (now deported and no ability to sue), didn't have any insurance AND had just bought the car from someone else didn't help our situation.  No insurance on either of those ends.  I can say, we are super grateful we have Builder's Risk Insurance.  It's unreal we have had to deal with all this but it seems we have finally been able to move forward after being stalled while figuring all this out.  Many more small and big steps are finally on the way and THAT is incredibly exciting!

UPDATE:

1. HVAC is underway.
2. Electrical rough in complete.
3. Framing repairs are done (still need cornice repair).
4. Roof material is ordered (waiting on delivery).
5. Stone is on site (was delayed a week due to shipping issues from OK).



I have even started making decisions on interior decor! As you know, this is the part I've been dying to do.

We found the retail counter for ACI at the West Elm Outlet in San Marcus (regular $1,900 but paid only $475!)
 West Elm Emerson Sideboard
Ours seems to be a reverse design.  The cabinet door (with three shelves behind it) is on the left side and the open three shelves section is on the right.  There is a small chunk missing behind the cabinet door and it's missing a drawer pull.  We can replace the drawer pulls and the missing chunk,... who cares.  It's hidden behind the door and no one will know :)


The back is what our customers will see and just look at that back!  I had been playing around with the idea of getting an old dresser or buffet and using pallet wood to finish out the back side and this is already done here!  It's rare to find a piece that's been finished like this.  I will be staining it to match the front but I'm thrilled it's pretty much ready to go.


 I have also found the two lights to go above the reception desk and two to go in the bathroom.  Both were 40% off at Tuesday Morning.  I think I'll have the larger geometric ones over the retail counter and the flat top ones in the bathroom but I'll decide that when things are closer to being done and I can see them in the space.  Basic wiring for both so I don't need to sweat which one goes where just yet.


Regularly $40 paid $24ea

Regularly $90 paid $54ea

Now, don't laugh but I MUST include the trash can I found for the bathroom (Ross marked down to $9) and a super cool sign we will hang in the break room somewhere.  Hey, it's in the little things, right?  Gotta celebrate every teeny weeny step, lol!



Things I've learned this past month....

Trust.  Trust. Trust.

And try very hard not to get discouraged when all you feel happening are baby steps.
Remember, baby steps are still steps and they still lead to the same place :)

Happy #fixerupperfriday!




His eye is on the sparrow and I know He is watching over me.   ♥   Matthew 10:29-31

Comments

Popular Posts